We love, love love our Matcha tea and I am always on the look out for new and great recipes…this is a great one I found on Pinterest, I hope you agree!
Makes about 3 dozen
- 1 cup (2 sticks) butter, softened
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 cup confectioner’s sugar
- 1/2 cup granulated sugar
- 1 vanilla bean or 1 teaspoon vanilla extract
- 3 tablespoons matcha powder
- 1/2 teaspoon salt
- 1 teaspoon black sesame seeds
- Special equipment – round cookie cutter about 2 inches in diameter, or another cookie cutter about the same size.
- Preheat the oven to 325 degrees F.
- In a large mixing bowl, cream the butter with the confectioners’ sugar and granulated sugar. Add the vanilla extract (if using instead of vanilla bean).
- If you’re using a vanilla bean instead, slit bean down the middle with a pairing knife and scrape out the black seeds from both sides of the middle. Discard the outer shell or save for another use.
- In another bowl, sift together the flour, matcha powder, vanilla bean seeds (if using instead of vanilla extract), and salt. Add the dry ingredients to the sugar butter mixture from step 2. Mix until a smooth dough forms.
- Flour a clean working surface and a rolling pin. Roll out the dough until it is between 1/4″ to 1/3″ thick. Use a 2” wide round cookie cutter to cut out circles. (You may need to reroll the dough once or twice more to use up the remainder.) Place the circles on a baking sheet lined with a Silpat or parchment paper, about 2 inches apart. Sprinkle the black sesame seeds on top of each cookie.
- Bake until the bottoms are just lightly golden, about 8 to 10 minutes, checking at the 8 minute mark.
- (Be careful not to overbake.) Transfer to wire racks and cool to room temperature.