Health benefits of Blue Butterfly pea flower tea AKA Clitoria Ternatea
Blue butterfly pea tea made from the flowers of Clitoria Ternatea is an amazing drink that has wonderful health benefits and medicinal uses. This blue butterfly pea tea is also called Anchan Tea, Color Changing Tea, Clitoria Tea, Thai Blue Tea, Blue Tea, Blue Chai (India) and Aparajita Tea in different parts of the world. The tea once steeped is a rich deep blue color, however, if you add some lemon it turns a lovely purple color!
What Is Blue Butterfly Pea Tea?
It is actually a native drink of South East Asian countries like Thailand and Vietnam made by boiling either the fresh blue butterfly pea flowers or dried blue butterfly pea flowers in water. Now, this amazing blue tea is gaining popularity all over the world due to its amazing medicinal uses.
Blue Butterfly Pea Plant: The botanical name of a blue butterfly pea plant is Clitoria Ternatea. The plant is a climber and it belongs to the family Fabacea and genus Clitoria. This plant has been used in Ayurveda for many years for treating many neurological problems like depression, anxiety and for improving memory. All parts of the plant including the leaves, seeds, roots, and flowers have medicinal properties.
Blue Butterfly Pea Common Names: Butterfly pea flower is called Sangu Pushpam or Sangu Poo in Tamil, Aparajita in Hindi and Bengali, Anchan in Thai and Blue Pea Flower in English.
Taste: Blue butterfly pea tea has a very subtle earthy taste. Butterfly pea tea is so refreshing but has a very subtle taste, we can only taste the lemon and honey in the tea mostly.
Nutrients: Blue butterfly pea flowers are rich in calcium, magnesium, potassium, zinc, iron, manganese and sodium so this tea is very rich in vitamins and minerals too. This tea is also full of antioxidants!
Blue Butterfly Pea Tea Health Benefits:
- Antioxidant Properties: One of the major benefits of consuming butterfly pea tea is its antioxidant properties. Consuming antioxidant-rich foods is vital for health, they fight off free radicals which are the primary reason for premature aging of the body.
- Anti Glycation Properties: Butterfly pea tea has been proven to have anti-glycation properties. Glycation is damage caused to protein because of sugar molecules and it is one of the main causes of skin aging. Butterfly pea tea prevents this damage and helps prevent premature aging of our skin.
- Anti Inflammatory Properties: Butterfly pea tea has been shown to have anti-inflammatory properties. If you are suffering from any inflammations, try consuming a cup of warm butterfly pea tea, it will bring down both the pain and inflammation.
- Prevents Fatigue: Butterfly pea tea is very good for people suffering from chronic fatigue as it improves vitality. Since it is rich in vitamins and minerals, it improves immunity and treats chronic fatigue greatly.
- Analgesic Properties: This tea has been proven to have analgesic properties (pain-relieving properties).
- Anti Diabetic Properties: This tea is amazing for diabetic patients as it helps regulate blood sugar levels. A cup of blue butterfly tea taken in between meals will help regulate blood sugar levels and will keep your blood sugar levels steady till the next meal.
- Reducing Stress & Anxiety: Butterfly pea has been used for reducing stress and anxiety from ancient times. If you are stressed or anxious and finding it difficult to sleep, try consuming blue butterfly tea regularly for a few days. It will help you relax and get a good night’s rest. It also helps improve brain function and memory.
- Anti Asthmatic Properties: Butterfly pea tea has anti-asthmatic properties. The whole plant decoction is usually given for treating all respiratory problems like cold, cough, fever and phlegm. It has amazing bronchodilating properties so if you are suffering from asthma consider taking this tea.
- For Hair & Skin: Any ingredient that is rich in antioxidants is amazing for hair and skin. Since this tea is also rich in many vitamins and minerals it even more effective for preventing premature aging of the skin and hair. You can also use the tea for external applications too. Mix it while making homemade face packs to get a glowing skin.
- Anti Ulcer Properties: This tea has a soothing effect on our stomach and helps treat stomach ulcers. The whole plant extract has been used for treating ulcers traditionally but the tea made with the flowers also has anti-ulcer properties. This is due to the presence of flavonoids in the flowers. If you are suffering from stomach ulcers, I would suggest taking this tea without adding any lemon juice.
Blue Butterfly Pea Tea Side Effects: This tea has fewer side effects, in fact, I couldn’t find any side effects at all and it also has been clinically proven to have very very low toxicity even when taken in large quantities. Though it is safe for consumption, I couldn’t find any study proving that it is safe for pregnant and breastfeeding women so for them I would suggest practicing caution. If you do consume, do it only in moderation.
how to make: 1 teaspoon per 8 ounces of boiled water, steep 5-15 minutes. The tea will be blue if you add lemon juice it will turn purple.
100% CERTIFIED ORGANIC
Ingredients – Butterfly Blue Pea Flower